Posts Tagged ‘Kate Winslet’
When it comes to making your wedding photographs look dated, apart from the dress, the hair ‘do’ is generally the chief culprit. How many of us have looked at wedding photos from the 1970s, 80s and 90s and thought ‘O.M.G! – The hair!’ – and not in a good way. The odds are, in 10 years time we’ll be looking back on today’s hairstyles – and that’s something to make you stop and think…
The thing that I love about vintage style is that, ironically, it never EVER dates. Key styles from the 1930s, 40s and 50s in particular are totally timeless and guaranteed to help you avoid the ‘OMG-Factor’ in years to come. Here are my top 3 wedding hairstyles to last the test of time – and vintage wedding accessory suggestions from Queens & Bowl to finish each look perfectly:
1. The Side Wave
A 1930s / 1940s hair classic – sleek, sexy and alluring.
- Made famous by: Veronica Lake
- Seen recently on: Kate Bosworth, Sienna Miller, Sandra Bullock
- Hair requirements: Must be smooth and sleek – frizz is a big no-no!
- Dress pick: Asymetric
- Perfect hair accessory: Statement earrings like the Boucheron by Stephanie Browne or Hayworth Double Drop Earrings by Stephanie Browne
2. The Roll
This is a classic from the 1940s and is unmistakably vintage. Manages to mix elegance and fun!
- Made famous by: Betty Grable
- Seen recently on: Dita Von Teese, Tyra Banks
- Hair requrements: Needs length in the fringe and works better with thicker hair
- Dress pick: Spaghetti strap
- Perfect hair accessory: A big sparkly comb like the BonBon by Stephanie Browne or Anouska by Halo & Halo
3. The Slick-Back Coif
This 1950s look is instantly familiar as Grace Kelly’s signature style. Sophisticated and feminine, but a little bold too.
- Made famous by: Grace Kelly
- Seen recently on: Kate Winslet, January Jones
- Hair requrements: Looks best on blondes and redheads
- Dress pick: V-neck
- Perfect hair accessory: Hettie hair pins by Rachel Simpson
So what do you think? Tell me your suggestions or upload them to the Queens & Bowl Facebook page!